BT Broadband could be cause of Netflix app’s ui-113 message
March 27, 2016 1 Comment
A couple of months ago I posted regarding a problem with the Netflix app on my LG smart TV (Netflix – Not fit for purpose?). We use BT Infinity broadband with a BT HomeHub 3. The Netflix app on the TV stopped working in early January and always displayed a Netflix ‘ui-113’ message when trying to connect. As we are paying good money to Netflix, we resorted to trying various DNS server addresses posted on the Web for US Netflix, which only work for a short time. Although US Netflix has more content than UK Netflix, we want the latter as it has UK programmes not available on US Netflix. Not to mention that we live in the UK. And it seems my family is not the only one suffering: BT Broadband Users Suffer Problems with Netflix on UK Smart TVs.
Today I found a YouTube video regarding a different Netflix error code (‘nw-2-5’) but, having tried everything else, I tried the suggested fix anyway (Enable Parental Controls then Disable Parental Controls then Delete Parental Controls) and then changed the DNS server address setting in the TV back to the default 192.168.1.254 for the BT Home Hub. Although the Netflix app first displays the ‘ui-113’ or ‘nw-2-5’ messages, if I retry a few times it now manages to connect to UK Netflix. After a couple of months of hassle with Netflix, that is progress.
The fix suggested in the above-mentioned YouTube video consisted of enabling then disabling and deleting BT Parental Controls via the user’s account page on the BT Web site. Even though I had never previously enabled BT Parental Controls, I logged in to the BT Web site, enabled Parental Controls, and then disabled and deleted them as per the instructions given in the aforementioned YouTube video.
So it seems that BT is either the cause of the problem or a major contributor. I suspect the blame may lie with more than one company, though, because: a) the Netflix app’s ‘ui-113’ and ‘nw-2-5’ messages occur even after I made sure BT Parental Controls really are disabled; b) it is touch and go whether the app is successful in accessing the Netflix site at the first attempt; c) other devices accessing Netflix via my home network don’t suffer from the problem. I just hope LG, Netflix and BT are working together to solve it properly, because the current situation is completely unacceptable.